Have you been contacted by headhunter lately? How do you evaluate headhunters? Here is my checklist:
- is he doing recruiting full-time? I wouldn’t work with part-time recruiters.
- is he accessible? try to call your recruiter at different time of the day. Is he available? or you always get his voice mail?
- how long has he been in the business? I’d prefer working with recruiter who has 5+ year of experience
- does he have a good understanding of your industry? Recruiter doesn’t need to know the most advanced technology in your industry, but he should have a good understanding of what your industry is about, business models, market, challenges, etc.
- does he know his limitations? for example, one of the best recruiters I have ever worked with has very clear requirements for candidates — she only works with professionals in engineering and product management with 7+ experience. And she specializes in working with start-ups. Recruiters with specialization knows their niche well, and are well-connected. A good recruiter adds a lot of value to your recruiting process.
- Is he selective in presenting opportunities to you? A good recruiter understands what you’re looking for. He won’t try to present every job opening that comes his way to you.